Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mrs. Kendra, Reading Therapist

I just wanted to write a little update on how unbelievable my new job is.  It really is surreal to me.  The freedom that I have there, the flexibility and the trust has far surpassed anything I could think up.  I already have a key to the place for Pete's sake (forgive the cheesy pun)!  

Honestly, what I'm most excited about is building kids up, building relationships with my seven other colleagues (you read that write, there's only eight of us total), and shining Jesus' light brightly to those surrounding me in a more intimate way.  I still can't believe that they hired me.  I am by far the least qualified in comparison, and the youngest by a long shot.  The majority of the other women I work with are retired 20-something year veteran teachers or at least well versed in the realm of education. But me?  I'm just a 20-something year old speechy newb!  I still marvel at the Lord's favor and still haven't grasped the fact that they hired me!  I swear I must have been the only applicant!  This verse has continued to remind me of God's amazing grace and love for me, his daughter. Although my previous job wasn't exactly the slimy pits, this verse has continued to encourage me and has really paralleled with my newest endeavor.
Psalm 40:2
"He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps."

Another rewarding food for thought is that I really feel that my schooling has paid off!  My goal was always to just finish and accomplish what I have always sought out to do, I never imagined being rewarded to this extent. I really had no expectations past walking off that stage the day that I graduated, so obviously my lack there of was blown out of the water in an amazing way.

So far, I have been observing, observing, observing.  Since there is so much freedom and because each therapist has their own style of teaching, I want to observe as much as possible to figure out what my style will be, and to find cohesiveness within it all.  Also, in the midst of moving (yes we are STILL packing) I am trying to grab hold of all the details I need to remember.  Coming from USF and it being such a professional and tightly buttoned environment, I am little bit stunned at the freedom and welcoming atmosphere.  It hasn't felt like work yet, which, I have been told is when you have found what you love.  Like I was telling Pete yesterday after work, it feels like I was invited over to someone's home for a meal - that's the atmosphere there: welcoming, warm, happy, and caring.  

So, all this to say, I serve a loving and mighty God.  I am awestruck in his attention to details I couldn't have even dreamed up (like the fact that the clinic is so cutely decorated and everyone is so well dressed, who cares about things like that besides me? haha).  I have learned through waiting for this new job, and in other "waiting/obediance tests" is that the moment I become completely content with my current situation, is when the Lord can being to work.  My anxious heart must be calmed and I have to really just give it ALL to the Lord.  Evidence for this is two weeks before leaving my previous retail position, I prayed in my heart, "Okay Lord, if there is where you want me, I will be faithful.  I will continue to show Your love and be a light.  I don't know why you have me here, maybe someone needs to be encouraged or saved, and I will be here to serve even in the littlest way."  Two weeks later I was already being trained for my new job.  Apparently this a lesson that I often forget because the Lord has used pretty drastic ways of showing me that I need to just submit to His will and trust Him (living with my in-laws for a year and learning to be content in any living situation, being a one-car family for four months waiting for the Lord to give us a peace about purchasing a vehicle, and now moving back in with my in-laws in order to wait upon the Lord for where He would have us next).  So far, in each of these life altering lessons, I have learned the same lesson (like I said I need a constant reminder): the Lord's plan is always better than my wildest dreams and in my own strength I physically can not obtain what I think is "best for me," nor do I want to obtain anything in my own flesh. When completely submitting to God to I am always at peace whether I agree or not, and His faithfulness is always amazes me and rewards me.

So today I am praising God for His excellent plan and will for my life and for all that is to come in the new year.  I can't wait to see what other blessings He has for us!


No comments: