Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 15: Favorite Bible Verse

This one is a little hard to pin down, because I love the whole book.  But I suppose one of my favorites would have to be II Corinthians 5:17-20.

II CORINTHIANS 5:17-20

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 
18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 
19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. 
20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we imploreyou on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.

Verse 17 reminds me that I was once dead in my sins, but because I was born again, I am a new creation!  God no longer sees me as a sinner, but as a perfect work in Him - how amazing is that.  It also reminds me that others too are new creations, and that I need to view fellow christians as a finished work because we both were once dead in our trespasses.

Verse 18 reminds me that God came this world and reconciled His people back to Himself through the death on the cross and that because He did this for us, we need to tell others of such reconciliation and that it's not too late for them to believe in what Christ did for the church.

Verse 19 reminds me of God's love for us - not that he sent Christ to judge the earth, but that Jesus is committed to finding the lost sheep and reconciling the world.

Verse 20 is our commission!  We need to be fishers of men.  Because Jesus is no longer physically present in flesh, we need to be Christ for others!  We need to a be a light to this world and our ministry must be reconciling the lost people of this world on Christ's behalf!

These few verses remind me of my past (the pit that God brought me out of), how He saved me (through the crucifixion & resurrection), and how I need to live out my life for Christ (by telling others!).  They neatly tie up the free gift of salvation in just a few short verses! I love that the bible can be so concise, and yet deep with few words.  What's your favorite verse? Why?

No comments: