Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Finding A Balance

So lately I have been convicted of a certain things called vanity.  Not sure it's an actual "sin" but it's something that the Holy Spirit has been drawing to my attention.  Now, this is not meant to condone anyone, I just want to share my thoughts and what I have learned since living in a house that is not my own (i.e. my dearest in-laws).  When we do have a house of our own in the future, I want to be sure that it does one thing: glorifies the Lord.   My in-laws have such a strength in this area, their home is nothing short of hospitable, loving, and welcoming.  Of course it doesn't hurt that it looks nice too, but the heart of the home is in the right place, and that's something I am striving to reach towards.  That's not to say that the walls have to be white, picture-less, and uninteresting, but there should be a balance right?  If all I care about is how my home looks, how clean it is, and how I am perceived as the "home-maker" then I know that my heart isn't in the right place.  Of course this is pretty easy to say now because I am currently a "room-mate" and not a home-owner or renter for that matter.  But, I just want to be sure that when we begin "growing" into our next home that it's with the right heart.  I want it to be beautiful of course, but I want to make sure my focus is the heart and the intent first, and looks second.  Am I making any sense?  I think this applies to many areas of one's life, whether it be looking for a spouse, creating friendships, serving in your personal ministry, etc...  The heart is all that the Lord looks at and I want to be sure that I am making my heavenly Father smile and show my picture around heaven.  I think He probably does that sort of thing, don't you?

Now, if you know me at all, you know that I am ALL about design and decor so my house will mostly likely have painted walls with pictures hanging, throw pillows thrown, and windows shined, but I want to be sure that it's not taking the place of the true substance that sustains me: Jesus!

Again, since I am not in my own home, I have lots of time to peruse the world wide web for ideas and eye candy (decor style).  I have been copy and pastin' like crazy with any DIY idea that I find particularly interesting, cost-efficient, or "to-die-for."  Here are some photos that I think are absolutely adorable. Is it counterproductive to post these photos?  I don't know, but they sure are cute.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 3:12-14

1 comment:

FDLE:OnlyPlace4Me said...

Very good advice!

-Danielle-