Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 14: A Picture I Love

(October 2010, finding out that her dessert was sugar free - love the expression)
This is Estelle.  She is a 92 year old spit fire that I joyfully call my very own grandmother.  She lives part time with my Mom and part time with my Aunt.  She survived the great depression, has had a triple bi-pass, been diabetic for years, fallen a few times, and up until just a few years ago, lived alone for much of her elderly life.  Her husband, Richard, died before I was born so I never got the chance to know him, but I can only imagine that as a pair they were nothing other than a sweet, funny, and loving couple.  GB (Grandma Bussman) reads just about a book a day, loves reading about animals, and enjoys sneaking any kind of "sweet" she can get her hands on, although she't not supposed to - but hey she is a spit fire isn't she?  She is the sweetest thing and speaks her mind which only adds to her charm.  I love that she used to babysit me & my brother before I could even walk.  She use to always reminds me how cute of a little baby I was and that she loved pushing my in my basinet throughout her neighborhood.  I will forever cherish our summers spent at her community pool and house, eating grilled cheese, watching Nickelodeon (because we didn't have that channel at our house), going to her annual rummage sales, eating the famous sloppy joes they always sold there, and playing cards just the three of us, or sometimes five if Aunt Thelma & Aunt Norma were in town.  I love you Grandma!  You're the best of the best!  I hope to be just as joyful, sentimental, and compassionate as you should I live as long! Much Love!

2 comments:

Sara Doane said...

Aww, this is so sweet! She sounds like my grandmother (the spit fire/speaking her mind bit). My grandmother lived with us until the year before I went to college, so we were always together.

Kendra said...

:] gotta love a 92 year-old spit fire.