Grocery.............. $3.00 for yeast (other ingredients common)
Skill Rating........ a sinch, kiddos can do it!
Serving Size...... 1-2 per person for 6
Prepare Time... 2 hours, (resting time for dough involved)
- 1.5 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 packet of yeast
- 4.5 cup flour
- 2 onces butter
- 1o addit. cups water
- 5 Tablespoon baking soda (2/3 cup)
- Course Salt (for topping) *optional*
1. Combine 1.5 cups warm water, sugar, salt and yeast.
2. Add room temperature butter and flour (a cup at a time)
3. You may need to add a little more water to this mixture.
4. Allow to sit for 40 minutes.
5. Combine 10 cups of water and baking soda in a large, stove-top safe pot.
6. Boil combination.
7. Drop pretzels into boiling water one at a time for 1 min 5 sec on each side.
8. DO NOT ALLOW PRETZELS TO SIT FOR MORE OR LESS TIME! They will toughen up or be too doughy if you are not accurate!
9. Once all pretzels have been dipped, place on oven-safe and greased cookie sheet.
10. SALT SALT SALT the pretzels; course salt works best but granulated will do.
11. Bake on 450 for 12-14 minutes.