Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breakfast for Grandma

So today I am granny-nanny-ing.  Basically, I am hanging out with my Grandma, prepping her meals, getting her meds ready, getting her exercise in.... etc.  I enjoy days like this when I get to spend time with her.  It gives me the precious memories I will remember when she's gone and let's her know I care for her.  All this to say, I made her breakfast this morning! Of course she's not at picky eater, never has been even at 92, but she relentlessly compliments the chef - which I don't mind.  Here's what I cooked up for her.

RANDALL SCALE
Grocery...................$5-$7
Skill Rating..............medium, hot flame
Serving Size.............table for one
Prep Time...............5-10 minutes


INGREDIENTS
  • 1 egg
  • 1 piece of pita bread
  • Your choice of veggies (tomato, onion, pepper, etc....)
  • 2 slices smoked ham
  • fresh fruit
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/8 cup cheese (block or grated is fine)
  • S&P
  • olive oil/coconut oil
PREPARE
  1. Crack egg open.  Add milk.  Beat well until pale yellow & well combined.
  2. Season with salt & pepper.
  3. Add choice veggies (I used one baby tomato for GB)
  4. Add cheese; grate or break up if in block form.
  5. Mix again.
  6. Turn on frying pan - medium high. Coat with olive oil or melt coconut oil.   (I use coconut oil for Grandma, it's really good for the heart.)
  7. Prep fruit - slice and plate. Today I used fresh strawberries and half a banana.
  8. Add egg mixture to pan, it will cook up fast so don't walk away.
  9. Once egg is done, heat smoked ham in microwave - 10-20 seconds. You can use breakfast ham or even lunch meat; you can also substitute bacon or sausage here.
  10. Toast pita bread.
  11. Plate ham on pita, eggs on ham.  Garnish with fresh mint (on fruit) or parsley (on eggs).
  12. ENJOY with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and a morning devotional.
And I quote, "Honey this is wonderful.  Mmm mmm mmm." - Grandma 

No comments: