Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How To Brine A Turkey

I'll be honest with you, I didn't know what the word "brine" meant either.  I am by no means a Julia Child when it comes to cooking so don't be intimidated in the least.  This will only be my second turkey, so we're in this together.  When I saw this recipe on food network, I thought, man that looks good.  Who would have ever thought to marinate a turkey?  Not me.  Chicken, beef, sure - but turkey? Brilliant!  So, brine, by definition means:
brine [braɪn]





noun
1. (Cookery) a strong solution of salt and water, used for salting and pickling meats, etc
2. (Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) the sea or its water
3. (Chemistry / Elements & Compounds) Chem
a.  a concentrated solution of sodium chloride in water
b.  any solution of a salt in water a potassium chloride brine
verb
(tr) to soak in or treat with brine

Now again, this may seem daunting, but if the outcome is as good as all the reviews say, it's gotta be worth it.  We'll see two days from now & I'll let you know how it goes, but for now, here's what you'll need to get Birdie started.


Ingredients:

  • 24 lb. turkey 
    • (I realize this is enormous, so just halve things down if you get a smaller guy)
  • 5 sweet onions
  • 10 cloves fresh garlic
  • 64 oz. vegetable broth
  • 64 oz. apple juice
  • 192 oz. water 
    • (i.e. refill the apple juice container three times)
  • 1 bunch fresh rosemary 
    • (by bunch, I mean, I went outside and picked a bunch)
  • 1 bunch fresh thyme
  • 1 bunch fresh basil 
  • SALT SALT SALT
  • Pepper
  • 2 tablespoons "Savory" seasoning
  • Ice
Prepare
  • Get turkey out of bag and de-gut. Yuck yuck yuck.  I'll admit, my Dad helped me with this part last year, but I was left to my own devices this time around - bummer.
  • Rinse well inside and out.  Pat dry.
  • Carefully drop into plastic container big enough + lots of broth.  I got a "74 lb" one if that helps.
  • Add all veg broth, juice, and half of water.
  • Peel onions and quarter. Add to container.
  • Peel garlic, smash to release flavor & add to container.  It should look like this so far.


  • Next get your herbs together.  Personally, I used fresh because that what's I had on hand, and let's be honest, it just looks good. Pictured below: thyme.  
  • Pick off stems, (we don't want those in the jacuzzi) bruise, tear, chop. Don't skip this step or your herbs will do nothing for you!
  • Add to turkey box along with savory season, a couple handfuls of salt and a couple dashes of pepper.  DON'T BE SCARED TO SEASON!  Think about how big a bird this is, (no pun intended big bird) and how much water there is + the sweet apple juice!  Do not by shy folks!
  • Top with remaining 1 1/2 containers water and give the turkey a good dunk.  Try to stuff some of the onions & garlic underneath him and try to mix around him without splashing too much. He should look like this now:
  • Now doesn't that look pretty good?  I think so.  To finish add enough ice to fill in the broth spots.  I would guess 4-6 cups.  You want to keep him chilled.
  • Next, cover, put in fridge and let it soak over night, like so:
  • If all goes well this turkey should be falling off the bone after being cooked. 
  • Oh by the way, about that.  When turkey day arrives and you are ready to get the bird cooking, pull him out of his bath and pat dry. Be sure his insides are clear of marinade as well.  Discard marinade & contents - it is contaminated now.
  • Fill bird with 1-2 quarted onions, 1 orange, & celery. 
  • Make herb butter or purchase and rub underneath the skin as seen in handy video (click here).
  • Next, put turkey in roasting bag and follow directions according to weight.  For this twenty-four pounder it will take about 3 hours to cook. Although this seems quick, brining your turkey will shorten cook time, not to mention the bag.
  • Once cooking is finished let turkey sit for at least 15 minutes, pref a 30 in the bag!  This will allow the juices to redistribute and remain in the bird - a little trick I've learned from my awesome father-in-law i.e. seasoned butcher. 
  • Save drippings to make gravy, as seen in this handy video (click here).
    • I use water instead of broth and nix the wine and a fine mesh strainer will do to separate.
If you think of me tomorrow, say a little prayer! I hope that this guy turns out well and starts a new tradition of moist & flavorful turkey! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


No comments: