Saturday, March 19, 2011

Fresh Paint & Other Things

So yesterday I was driving home from the post office and saw a tempting "garage sale this way" teaser.  I drove past thinking, "It's twelve o'clock, they probably don't have anything good left," but like the typical curious woman that I am, I turned around.  As I drove through the most beautiful neighborhood, I soon discovered that they had a few very nice pieces left.  The next thought that flew into my head was, "If these nice pieces are still here after hours and hours, she's either asking too much, or maybe she'll take less just to get rid of them."  Lucky for me it was the latter!  I scored this baby (a bombay original, circa 1999) for twenty-five buckaroos.  Not only is she solid wood, but her clean lines and spindle legs are just the ticket, not to mention her petite waistline will be the perfect addition for a future entryway, fingers crossed.  So here she is in all her glory!
Although I do enjoy beautiful antique furniture, that is meticulously maintained, her current look is a little too mature for my taste,  (I know what you're thinking, she's a beaut!) although she is is great condition. I'll be making her up to look something more like these beauties below with a little less distressing.....please excuse the poor image quality, these were taken with my phone in Homegoods, but you get the idea.  I particularly enjoy the hue of the second image.
I also plan to patching up two of the four holes and replacing her existing pull hardware with two knobs that are a little more delicious i.e. sparkly.  Maybe crystal? Antique? I guess it will depend on the paint color I go with, but I always look at a piece's hardware so here's some 'bling' for ya, courtesy of anthropologie:
What do you think?  Is your stomach in a knot at the thought of me painting this baby or are you on board for "project Jackson Polick?" I'd love to know your thoughts..... Project Tutorial and "after" pictures to come soon!

No comments: