Saturday, October 31, 2009

It Warms The Soul.....

Oh where do I begin. This has become such a staple in my home during those "winter days" we have here in Florida. It is just so yummy and savory - not to mention filling. It is perfect topped with sharp cheddar, cilantro, tortilla chips, and a little sour cream if one prefers. Enjoy this recipe and enjoy the chilly breezes coming through the windows soon!

RANDALL SCALE:
Grocery.............. $15.00
Skill Rating........ medium, lots of stovetop involved!
Serving Size...... 2-4 people for days and days
Prepare Time... 1-2 hours (allow s
oup to heat though)

Ingredients:
(I usually double this recipe, you will need a LARGE pot)
  • 5-6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 28 oz. Tomato Puree - very important, not minced or diced
  • 40 oz. College Inn Chicken Broth
  • 1/2 lb. of frozen corn (guesstimate half a bag)
  • 1 can regular black beans
  • 1 generous bunch of cilantro (use 3 when I doubling the recipe)
  • Minced Garlic (or fresh, just takes longer)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Garlic Salt
  • Sugar
  • Optional Toppings:
  • Shredded Cheddar (don't leave this out, please)
  • Tortilla Chips
  • Sour Cream
Prepare:

1. Cube chicken breasts and cook in olive oil coated pan.
2. Season with salt and pepper, garlic salt, and 4-5 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic.
3. Trim cilantro well, do not leave any stems. Mince.
4. In very, very large pot empty contents of tomato puree, broth, beans, and corn.
5. Add cooked chicken to pot and put on high on stove.
6. Taste. Add salt & pepper if desired. I usually add a teaspoon or two of sugar here.
7. Allow soup to come to boil.
8. Once soup comes to a rolling boil, add trimmed/minced cilantro. DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP!

*Best enjoyed while watching Elf, White Christmas, or
Christmas Story surrounded by family, friends,
open windows,
and a fireplace lit to a dull roar.*

2 comments:

Kitty (My Husband Hates Veggies) said...

Oooh...a new blog to explore. I am so happy I came out of blog retirement! This soup looks great, and if I sub the black beans, we may even have a husband-friendly recipe here...

Kitty

Kendra said...

I just this comment - thank you so much! How did you find my blog?

As for subbing the black beans, I have never been a fan of beans, but in this particular recipe they are sooo good. Plus, you can always pick around. :] Let me know how goes it!